We have been proudly hand-making our custom books since the beginning of 2015. We decided to start making books right here in the studio to: (A) ensure we provide the highest quality product possible, (B) protect our client’s privacy, and (C) drastically speed up our delivery time to clients!
Below is the loving step-by-step process made by our full time book binder, Clara.
1) Our professional aqueous prints use the highest quality fine art archival paper and ultrachrome ink. Each spread is individually dried before proceeding to the next step.
2) Next we make a perfect crease in the middle of each spread.
3) Each spread is carefully inspected for absolute perfection.
4) The spreads are arranged in order, inspected again, and protected with crisp white paper.
5) Each spread is hand mounted to one another with archival adhesive board to create a thick sturdy book block.
6) After sitting in a book press overnight, each edge of the book block is tediously shaved off.
7) Shaving results in silky smooth, perfectly straight edges. A beeswax finish is applied to the edges for protection.
8) The completed book block is measured for a custom cover.
9) The bonded leather is cut to fit the book block.
10) The book board is cut to fit perfectly and adhered to the leather with adhesive.
11) The completed cover is mounted and secured to the book block.
12) The finished book is tightly pressed in the book press for 24 hours and then it’s ready for delivery!